Kokopelli Conga

Kokopelli Conga
"A work of art that did not begin in emotion is not art." --Paul Cezanne

March 1, 2013

Experimental Painting part 2 - Kokopelli Song

After the paintings dried, I got out a stamp I had designed and carved several years ago but never used. The stamp is a Kokopelli with some ebellishments. I drew the design on a piece of linoleum (purchased from art supply catalog) and then carved around it with carving tools. It would seem easy, but actually carving the stamp was more difficult than I had expected.  Then, as many of my ideas do, it sat in a drawer for a long time...until I finally decided to pull it out and use it for my "breaking through" painting - six years later! Oh well. Better later than never! :)

Here is the stamp












I applied paint to the stamp with a brush and then stamped the two paintings - trying to apply it in a similar spot and direction on each paper. After the stamp paint had dried, I pulled the bits of tape off and rubbed off the masking fluid to reveal the saved whites.













Then, it was time to cut both paintings into strips and weave together to make one. This is where we have to get brave!  I carefully measured and marked one inch strips on the back of each painting and numbered the strips to set up the weave in the order I wanted it.

I wove the paintings together from the back side so I could keep track of the strips and make sure they were in order. (I forgot to take a picture of this part of the process).

My husband came in while I was weaving and was very interested to see what was happening while I wove the paintings together upside down, but I wouldn't let him look.  "NO PEEKING!!"

After weaving and examining the painting for a while, I decided to crop a little bit off one end...and here is the final result:  "Kokopelli Song Woven Through My Dreams" - a highly experimental "breaking through - something new" painting for me that I have entered into the Utah Watercolor Society (UWS) Two Star/Signature Member show.
















I was pleased with the "dreamlike" qualities of the painting - how it is sharp in some areas and a little hazy in others, and how you see hints of the Kokopelli in the weave, but never a full-on, sharp image. The ice patterns from the snow and cold air provide some extra texture as well.

The process was fun and opened a different part of my creative brain. I've decided to try the technique again, and experiment with different sized strips on the weave and different color combinations as well. :)

Thanks for reading along tonight! I am hoping to get some more illustration work done this weekend for the children's book and also finish a painting for entry into the UWS Spring Show. Busy couple of days!

Have a great weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment