Utah Watercolor Society Spring Show

It's the time of year for the Utah Watercolor Society Spring Show (UWS). I was fortunate enough to be juried into the show this year, with one of my woven abstract paintings, "Stargazer," which also showed up on the event postcard! :) 

The show was juried by John T. Salminen, who also presented at the UWS member meeting this past Tuesday evening. Wow! What an incredible artist and an entertaining speaker as well.

The opening reception is tonight in Provo, UT. Here is the postcard.
















Here is my painting, "Stargazer." 
"Stargazer"  Acrylic on 140lb watercolor paper



















This show is another important step in achieving Signature Member status in the UWS. I am already a Two Star Member (achieved after acceptance into two Spring Shows). Signature membership requires acceptance to eight shows (UWS Spring or Fall shows, or the Western Federation annual show). It is also required that your painting win an award at one of the shows. So far, I have been accepted to six shows. No awards yet, but hopefully one of these days. :) What does Signature Member mean? It means I can put the letters UWS next to my signature on my paintings. Seems like a small thing? Perhaps, but now you know the amount of work required to achieve Signature Member status. Those three little letters lend a certain amount of prestige and credibility to your art.

"Stargazer" is one of only three abstract woven paintings that I have created in the past two years. Interestingly, each of the three were selected for UWS juried exhibitions (all juried by different nationally and internationally known artitsts). This has been insightful for me, since I am not normally a pure abstract painter. But, I do enjoy the process of the woven paintings, and I feel that the weaving gives some added interest and texture to the composition. My next step will be testing the weaving process with paintings done in my usual style. I am hoping this combination might help give a unique and recognizable voice to my work. I will post pictures of the process as I test it to see if it will work out! :)

As always, thanks for stopping by my blog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Video link - Social Media for Artists - April 2017

FRIDAY FEATURE: Featured Artist ~ Lester B. Lee

FRIDAY FEATURE: Featured Artist ~ Ian Ramsay