FRIDAY FEATURE: Featured Artist ~ Sherry Meidell

Originally published 5/8/15...
________________________________


Friday Feature:  Sherry Meidell
















I have only recently become acquainted with Sherry as we served together on the Board of the Utah Watercolor Society this past year. Even in that short time, I have learned that she is a delightful person to know.

Sherry is an incredibly talented artist with a witty sense of humor! As the mother of five boys (now young men), a sense of humor and adventure are obviously a must-have for this fun lady! In her own words...



"My husband and I have raised five sons in Utah. When the boys were little they would bring home an assortment of wild creatures, such as a mother snake that surprised everybody the next morning with a large number of baby snakes. Frogs and dogs and iguanas would escape and be discovered in the upper reaches of their mother’s bedroom closet. The iguana got bigger and so did the boys."  ~ Sherry Meidell (from TeeterTotterTales)



Sherry painting at a watercolor workshop in Flaming Gorge, UT













Sherry has illustrated several children's books and is also a skillful plein air artist, recently winning the 1st Place Award for the 2014 Arts and the Park, Light on the Reef plein air watercolor competition (among others). Sherry will be teaching a watercolor workshop at this year's 2015 Arts and the Park, Light on the Reef event in June.



Sherry painting at the June 2014 Arts and the Park, Light on the Reef in Torrey, UT







Be prepared for this year's Arts and the Park, Light on the Reef event!





Sherry and her husband recently returned from vacation in Peru, exhausted and exhilarated at the same time.

"We hiked the Inca Trail which was like going on vacation and being beaten by sticks on the bottom of your feet for four days. We went some amazing places and hiked where I never thought I'd hike."

I contacted Sherry to let her know I wanted to feature her on my blog, and she was gracious enough to answer my questions.


©Sherry Meidell


















Q: What are your favorite materials and tools...the ones you just can't live without?

A: My favorite tool is my sketch book and my pen. I love that it is portable and can go anywhere with me. It makes a record of my life and what I have seen. It keeps my sketching muscle strong and it is a place to explore ideas.



Q: Who are your artistic influences?


A: I love illustrators and children’s book illustrators in particular. I love Jerry Pinkney’s illustrations and the books he has illustrated such as “The Lion and the Mouse” I also love other illustrators like Norman Rockwell and Howard Pyle. I also love Robert Henri.



©Sherry Meidell



















Q: What is your favorite subject matter and why?

A: I love drawing and painting people. I love to capture movement in their faces a touch of their personalities.



©Sherry Meidell














Q: What advice would you give to emerging artists?

A: Work on your craft. The quality of your drawing and painting matters. You want to work hard at getting your artwork to the quality you want it.



©Sherry Meidell














Q: What are your favorite quotes?

A: “Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them and follow where they lead.” - Louisa May Alcott



“I know I have said a lot when I say 'You can do anything you want to do.' But I mean it." - Robert Henri



Q: What would you most like to be remembered for in life?

A: There are great blessings that come from teaching others. I would love to be remembered as a great teacher.




Sherry demonstrating her art and her sense of humor at a
Utah Watercolor Society meeting with her "hockey" brush.

Sherry publishes videos on YouTube that show her illustration process. Click here to watch one. Find Sherry's illustrations and books on her website. You can also follow Sherry on Facebook and Twitter, and read about her art adventures on her blog TeeterTotterTales.











As always, thanks for stopping by my blog!

I hope you enjoyed this Featured Artist post. Please leave a comment with your thoughts and feedback. I would love to hear from you!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Video link - Social Media for Artists - April 2017

FRIDAY FEATURE: Featured Artist ~ Lester B. Lee

FRIDAY FEATURE: Featured Artist ~ Ian Ramsay