Book Review: The $100 Startup

This book was mailed to me recently with a request to read it and provide a review. Typically, I keep my blog posts related to my art pursuits and art-related topics. But, this book actually kind of qualifies in that arena. Since many full-time artists I know are trying to find ways to generate more income to support themselves and their families, and many part-timers are also looking to find additional revenue streams or to find a way to be able to work as a full-time artist, I thought the book might contain some useful information. So I decided to give it a read.

Here are my thoughts on The $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create a New Future.


(This is the review I posted to Amazon.com)

"This book was quick and easy to read. I found the information to be useful and I appreciated the personal examples of businesses in a variety of industries from mattress sales to map makers to consultants. I felt that there could have been a little more detail about how to build a customer base for your product launch, but I did notice some helpful references in the footnotes about websites with information on SEO and other things that might be helpful in answering some of those questions. Ultimately I found this book to be highly motivational. Give yourself the freedom to go ahead and start that microbusiness! Whether you want to start a part time venture or go at it full time, the message here is that you need to be willing to work at something you love, you need to find a way to create value and experience for your customers, and you need to have the courage to go for it!"


Book reviews are an interesting concept for an artist blog, but I think I will include some additional reviews here if they are books or articles I find helpful as an artist or business person.

As for this one, I would recommend it - for motivation if nothing else. There's a definite "You CAN do it!" vibe that runs through the entire book. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Video link - Social Media for Artists - April 2017

FRIDAY FEATURE: Featured Artist ~ Lester B. Lee

FRIDAY FEATURE: Featured Artist ~ Ian Ramsay