Redwoods and Rhododendrons

As you may already know, I love to travel. My husband and I especially love Moab, UT and Arches National Park. However, we also have a great love for Northern California and the Redwood National Park. Truthfully, we actually like Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park better, but the entire Northern California coastline is full of beautiful Redwood trees, from the Avenue of the Giants all the way up the coast to Crescent City, CA, where we stayed on our honeymoon. Actually, the "honeymoon" was a vacation we took seven months after we were married - but we still count it! :)

Besides being an easy drive to Redwood trees, hiking trails, and beautiful, awe-inspiring scenery, Crescent City has lovely coastline and, during July, Crabbing from the docks. I found this such an interesting sight to observe - fishermen tossing colorful round nets and baskets off the dock to catch rock crabs. I got some great photo shots with my camera, as well as wonderful Redwoods pics. Unfortunately, it was a time before I carried a sketchbook with me and, on our travels home, we accidentally left our camera (and all the memory disks with it) in our rental car! Aargh! I called the rental car place and they did, indeed, have the camera and were supposed to mail it to me. But guess what, it never came! I guess some employee of theirs thought it was more important for them to have the camera. So...no pictures from our two-week honeymoon vacation!

Well, as you can imagine, that experience was upsetting and frustrating and, frankly, maddening. But, there's nothing we could do about it, so no point in walking around my life being angry about something I can't change. Instead, we set about planning a NEW vacation to the Redwoods so we could recapture some of those wonderful photos as well as make new memories.

On our next vacation, taken the year our first son was born (he was 5 months old at the time), we did recapture some great pics - and didn't lose our camera this time. And...BONUS...we went in June, only to discover the Giant Rhododendrons were in bloom! BEAUTIFUL!! So, along with the awe-inspiring Tall Trees, I have some lovely shots of these gorgeous flowers in bloom...some of the bushes growing taller than I am (which is not hard since I only stand 5 foot 2 inches). But some were even taller than my 6 foot 3 inch hubby as well!

Eventually, all inspiration finds its way to my paintbrush. So, here are three little watercolor paintings inspired by the beautiful flowers. :) 


All three of these paintings are currently listed on eBay this week (your chance to pick them up at auction prices!). Click here if you would like see the auctions or search Jennifer Love Artwork on eBay to find my current auctions. You can also look up Jennifer Love Artwork on Etsy to see my Etsy store with original paintings, prints, cards, and custom cards.

Thanks for reading and sharing a bit in my life. :) Have a great week (almost weekend) everyone! 

Redwood Rhododendron 1  Image Size 5" x 7"

Redwood Rhododendron 2  Image Size 4" x 3"

Redwood Rhododendron 3  Image Size 7" x 5"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Video link - Social Media for Artists - April 2017

FRIDAY FEATURE: Featured Artist ~ Lester B. Lee

FRIDAY FEATURE: Featured Artist ~ Ian Ramsay